I am starting to realize that there are a lot of sausage and pepper recipes on here. Honestly I never realized how often I cooked some variation of sausage and peppers until I started blogging and paying more attention to what we ate. I used to make this recipe using whole wheat of high fiber pasta, but since I am trying to eat more veggies and less carbs, zucchini noodles felt like the perfect substitute. The lean turkey sausage is a great way to add lots of flavor to the dish without too much fat and combined with the peppers, onions, garlic, oregano, and Parmesan cheese - you can't go wrong.
Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini Noodles
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U zucchinis, sliced into noodles
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey sausage
- 1.5 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 U sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 U red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 U green pepper, sliced thin
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (leave off for Whole30/Paleo)
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes until completely cooked. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add in the olive oil, peppers, and onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes until tender. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add in the zucchini pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes until just cooked.
Add the sausage and cheese. Toss together until cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Top with basil.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.