Simple and flavor packed Rotisserie Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Quinoa make a healthy delicious dinner and are perfect for lunch meal prep.
Last year we moved to a new house and for the first time ever, I had a Chipotle in striking distance. It's less than a mile away, which is dangerous since since I could polish off a bag of their salty lime chips and guac in about 10 minutes. However for the first few months, it was one of my go-to's when I needed something quick. And in my head, I thought I was making relatively healthy, diet friendly choices when choosing burrito bowls with brown rice, black beans, veggies, chicken, a touch of cheese, and some guac and salsa. Turns out, there's actually a lot of calories and tons of sodium in most of our Chipotle orders and the online calculators may not be quite as accurate as we'd expect. Check out what the NY Times had to say, for example.
Now with that said, I definitely still indulge in Chipotle from time to time, but more often I have been making my own Chipotle style meals at home like these Rotisserie Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Quinoa. It's still packed with flavor but has about half the calories as a typical burrito bowl. Plus it's better for you with more veggies and protein packed quinoa instead of rice. To keep things simple, I like to make these with rotisserie chicken so I don't have to spend time cooking and chopped the chicken breast but you could use any protein you like.
These are also the perfect thing to make ahead of time for meal prep. Just prep and pack everything over the weekend and you have a delicious, filling lunch or dinner during the week.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Rotisserie Chicken Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Quinoa
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1 U lime, juice only
- 1 U red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 U green pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 U red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. taco seasoning (storebought or homemade)
- 3 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken breast and removed the skin)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 U tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tbsp guacamole
- Add the quinoa, water, and garlic to a pot. Bring to a boil and stir. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes and turn off the heat. Let sit covered for 5 minutes. Open and fluff and a fork. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, add the water, peppers, red onion, mushrooms, and taco seasoning to a small pan. Cook over medium high heat for 6-10 minutes until tender and cooked to your liking. If desired, you could add the chicken during this step as well and some extra taco seasoning to kick up the flavor of the chicken as well.
- Heat the black beans in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Assemble the bowls by starting with the quinoa. Add the black beans, chicken, veggies, tomatoes, and guacamole. Drizzle salsa over top if desired. If prepping these ahead of time for lunches, pack the guacamole separately if you are planning on eating it warm.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.