videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Mussels and Shrimp in Spicy Tomato Broth
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 4 U cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 U bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fennel bulb with fronds
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, fennel, red pepper, bay leaf, and fennel fronds. Saute for about 2 minutes.
Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring to make sure they don’t burn.
Add 1 cup of chicken broth and let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes begin to break down.
Add an additional cup of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and turn down to low heat.
Add the mussels and cook for 5 minutes or until the mussels open up. Then remove the mussels and set aside.
Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for 2 minutes until cook through.
Add the mussels back to the pot with the basil and stir together. Serve on it’s own, with crusty bread, over rice, or over pasta. Anything you serve it with will be delicious!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.