Meatballs and Peppers in Gravy
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 U red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 U yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 U summer squash, chopped
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. nonfat evaporated milk
- 1.25 tbsp. whole wheat flour (substitute 1 tsp. arrowroot or cornstarch for low carb/Paleo/GF)
Mix together the beef, onion, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. If you like heat, consider adding ¼-1 tsp. red pepper flakes as well.
Roll this mixture into 20 meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned on all sides.
Turn heat down and continue cooking for 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove and set aside. Tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the peppers, mushrooms, squash, and garlic to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes until just tender.
Meanwhile, mix together 1 tbsp. of evaporated milk with the flour. Add to the pan and stir well.
Add in the remaining evaporated milk and cook for 5-8 minutes until sauce is thick. Season with salt and pepper. Add meatballs to the pan and stir to combine everything.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.