Growing up one of my brother's favorite meals was my Mom's pot roast, but to be honest I never really understood the appeal. Luckily since then I have come to love my Mom's pot roast and now totally love the tender beef and veggies. While her version involves a lot of time in the kitchen, checking on the roast in the oven often, I like to make this more hands-off version in the slow cooker. To keep things lower carb, I replaced the potatoes with turnips and rutabaga, which mimic the texture but are friendly for low carb dieters. You can use pretty much any hearty veggies you like though, so feel free to mix things up using parsnips, squash, beets, or sweet potatoes.
Lower Carb Slow Cooker Pot Roast and Root Vegetables
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 lbs extra lean eye of round beef roast
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 U carrots, chopped
- 3 U celery ribs, chopped
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb. rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 3 U garlic cloves, whole
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch (or arrowroot for lower carb)
- 1.5 tbsp cold water
- 1.5 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.