Pulled pork is one of my favorite indulgent meals whenever we go for barbecue, but I try not to eat it too often since it has a ton of sugar and fat. Luckily it is actually pretty easy to create a healthier, almost as delicious version as home. Usually I use the slow cooker but lately I have been making this simple stove-top version. It's much faster and is perfect for these Pulled Pork Tostadas.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Lower Carb Barbecue Pulled Pork Tostadas
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup light barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. lean pork tenderloin
- Salt and pepper
- 8 U low carb tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 2 U tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5-7 minutes until tenders.
Add the barbecue sauce and chicken broth to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Add to pan and bring back to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Flip pork over and cook for another 10 minutes or until fork tender.
Shred the pork with 2 forks.
Meanwhile bake your tortillas in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes to create your tostadas. You can also grill them if you prefer. Top the tostadas with pork, veggies, and cheese.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.