Although I always hated coleslaw growing up due to the overwhelming amount of mayonnaise that it is normally drenched in, I have found a new apreciation for homemade coleslaw where I control the amount of mayo and can add all the crunchy veggies I like. Lately I have been experimenting with spicier versions of slaw and fell in love with the low carb version using jicama. The jicama adds some natural sweetness that is balanced perfectly with the spice from the jalapeno and chili powder. It will last a couple days in the fridge and makes perfect side dish or taco topping.
Low Carb Spicy Jicama and Cabbage Slaw
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 cup jicama, shredded
- 8 oz. shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
- 1 U jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1.5 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 U lime, juice
- 3 tbsp. low fat mayonnaise
- 1 U packet Stevia (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper
Toss together the jicama, coleslaw, and jalapeno peppers. In another bowl stir together the remaining ingredients.
Toss the veggies and dressing together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.