I have always loved Japanese chicken yakitori but I was shocked to find out how much sugar is normally packed into those delicious little skewers. So I set out to create a lower carb version that tasted just as delicious but without all the added sugar. Since yakitori normally is made with mirin, a Japanese wine used often in cooking, I had to find a lower carb replacement for the mirin. After some research and experiments, I found that simple rice vinegar with a touch of Stevia for sweetness was the perfect substitute.
Low Carb Chicken Yakitori
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 U green onions (or onion)
- 1 U green pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms, whole or halved
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 U packets Stevia
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Place the skewers on a baking sheet covered in foil (or on grill pan) and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Immediately brush with sauce and serve. For a stickier sauce, brush the skewers with sauce and place back under the broiler for 1 minute, being very careful they don't burn.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.