Fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, spaghetti squash, and chicken sausage. I mean it can't get much better than that.
I am seriously in love with this low carb pasta dish and see it becoming a pretty regular item in my dinner rotation. It combines the amazingly delicious Caprese salad with a baked pasta dish without all the carbs. Since we need some protein, chicken sausage makes a quick and easy addition but shredded chicken breast, shrimp (added after), or chickpeas would also be yummy.
Low Carb Caprese Pasta Bake with Chicken Sausage
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 cups spaghetti squash
- 4 U chicken sausages, sliced (pre-cooked, or vegetarian sausage)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (or diced Italian tomatoes)
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup basil, torn or chopped
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Season with salt and black pepper. Bake for about 1 hour on a baking sheet with the cut side down. To microwave cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place on a microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes or until soft. Scrape out all the flesh.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Toss together the squash, sliced chicken sausage, olive oil, cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, and half the fresh mozzarella. Press down flat into the dish.
Top with the remaining fresh mozzarella. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.
Drizzle balsamic on top to serve. You can also top with some extra fresh basil.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.