Lately I have been intentionally trying to add more grains to the rotation since we are constantly eating quinoa and brown rice bowls. And while they are delicious, it can get boring to always have the same grains. Luckily, I am starting to see barley pop up more often in the grocery store and it's a great healthy alternative. This delicious bowl was built around the barley with roasted broccoli and tomatoes, feta cheese, and a delicious lemon yogurt chive sauce. It's seriously delicious and incredible filling.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Lemony Barley Bowl with Yogurt Sauce
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 U shallot
- 4 U garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare the barley according to package directions. For pearled barley, bring water to a boil (ratio of 1 cup barley to 3 cups water) and add barley. Cover and reduced heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes or until barley is fully cooked. Drain any excess water.
- Toss the broccoli and cherry tomatoes with the olive oil, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet. Roast fro 18-24 minutes until broccoli is tender and beginning to brown.
- Make the yogurt sauce by combing the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, chives, salt, and pepper. If possible, make in advance for more flavor.
- Assemble the bowls by topping the barley with vegetables, feta, and yogurt sauce.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.