My grandmother made the most delicious Italian sausages and spaghetti sauce growing up. She simmered the sauce all day on the stove and the recipe was a little different every time she made it depending on what she needed to use up in the kitchen. Nothing ever went to waste and sauce was one of her favorite vehicles for using up whatever she had leftover. It was a magical thing.
This week I was thinking about that dish but was in need of something quicker and a little lighter. When I saw this recipe from Nutmeg Nanny I couldn't wait to try it. Spaghetti squash, ground sausage, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and just the right amount of cheese to make it taste indulgent. Yum.
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 U spaghetti squash (small-medium)
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey sausage
- 1 U green pepper, sliced
- 1 U red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 U sweet onion, sliced thin
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 20 oz. canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until tender. To microwave, pierce whole squash with knife or fork. Microwave for 12-14 minutes or until tender. Carefully cut open to remove the seeds. Scrape the squash out with a fork.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.