This Healthier Shortcut Shepard's Pie is full of flavor and ready in about 15 minutes. Paired with your favorite mashed veggies and you have a hearty meal everyone will love.
This time of year I am craving hearty, filling meals that stick to your ribs. The only problem, I actually want them to do the opposite of stick to my ribs. Especially with the holidays and all their indulgences, I really try to make sure our meals at home are healthy this time of year. So lightened up versions of classic dishes like Shepard's Pie are the perfect solution to satisfy my cravings and my desire to eat healthy.
Additionally since the holidays can be hectic, I also like to make this shortcut version to speed things up. Instead of making everything and baking it, you make the filling and then serve it with the your favorite veggie mash - potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, or butternut squash are all great options. It's also delish over a baked potato. Usually when I am planning on serving this, I make the filling and mash ahead of time since it only gets better after a couple of days in the fridge.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Healthy Shortcut Shepard's Pie
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth (or beef broth)
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Add the beef, onion, and garlic to a medium hot skillet and brown until no longer pink.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with cauliflower mashed potatoes, regular mashed potatoes, mashed butternut squash, or mashed sweet potatoes.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.