Whenever I am getting back on the healthy eating train, I always start with a big pot of vegetable soup. Not only is it filling and packed with nutritious veggies, I find that having it on hand really helps me stay on track and get back to good habits. While you could stick to all veggies, I like to add some kind of lean protein so that it keeps me full. In this case I decided to use lean chicken sausages but you could use chicken breast, chicken thighs, shrimp, or beans.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Garden Vegetable and Chicken Sausage Soup
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 U chicken sausages, sliced
- 2 U leeks, chopped
- 2 U carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 U celery ribs, chopped
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, defrosted
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot oven medium low heat. Add the sausage, leeks, carrot, celery, and garlic. Let cook for 7-8 minutes until softened. Stir in the Italian seasoning.
Add the mushrooms, green beans, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and spinach. Bring to a simmer.
Turn heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Test vegetables to make sure they are tender. Add lemon juice and serve.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.