French Onion Chicken Breast is a healthy spin on French Onion soup with caramelized onions, thyme, and melted cheese all on a lean chicken breast.
French Onion Chicken Breast with all the flavor of a traditional French Onion soup but in a healthy chicken recipe that you and your family will love.
I love everything about French Onion soup and it has been on the top of my recipe development list for a long time. With the new Weight Watchers Freestyle program, I am always thinking about ways to create low point recipes that taste indulgent, so when I thought of combining this delicious soup with a lean chicken breast, I couldn't wait to get started.
To create the same flavors of French Onion soup, I started by caramelizing onions to get a deep and rich flavor. I used red onions, since they are my favorite, but you could use any onion you like. Then once the onions are tender and caramelized, they are flavored with thyme, Dijon mustard, and a touch of balsamic vinegar. This adds depth and richness to the onion, plus it mimics the same flavors traditionally used in the soup. I could eat a pan of these onions by themselves. They are so so good. Finally the onions are finished off with chicken broth to create a soup like sauce and then piled onto chicken breast. Everything is topped with shredded cheese. Yum.
Here are some tips for making this Healthy French Onion Soup Chicken
- It's important to spend the extra time caramelizing the onions to truly get the French Onion soup flavor. This create the rich, oniony flavor you expect. If you plan on making this on a busy weeknight, just caramelzie the onions ahead of time.
- Traditionally French Onion soup is made with beef broth. I opted to use chicken broth since it is a chicken dish, but if you want that rich beef flavor, use beef broth instead.
- This recipe freezes well, so I usually make a double or triple batch to freeze the leftovers.
Looking for more healthy chicken recipes?
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
French Onion Chicken Breast
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 cups onions, sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp flour (GF if needed )
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 24 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (if following freestyle they can be larger)
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.