I was recently introduced to the world of vegetarian "steaks." I am a huge fan. It all started when a friend made cauliflower steaks for our plant based friends at a barbecue and they quickly became the star of the show. Charred on the outside and served with a delicious pesto, people were fighting for the last one. Since then I have been making lots of cauliflower steaks, ususally with Romesco, and lately been venturing out to into other veggie steaks like today's cumin butternut squash steak. Since peaches are just coming into season, I knew I wanted to add smoky flavors to the squash to pair with the sweetness of the peaches. If you like things spicy, some ancho chili powder would be delicious as well. From there it's simple. Grill up the squash, make the peach salsa, and dinner is ready.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Cumin Squash Steaks with Peach Salsa
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 U butternut squash, peeled and cut lengthwise into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 U peaches, chopped
- 1/4 U red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. cilantro
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the squash carefully into 1/2 inch long pieces. Brush the squash with olive oil. Depending on the size of your squash and the thickness, you should end up with 1-2 "steaks" person.
- Combine the cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over the squash on both sides.
- Heat a grill (or grill pan) to medium high heat. Cook the squash for 5-6 minutes per side. Alternatively you can cook it in a skillet the same way. Make sure squash is cooked through.
- To make the salsa, toss together the peaches, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over squash. For a fun twist, grill the peaches before making the salsa.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.