For some reason I never really considered making or eating lentils until about three years ago. They weren't something my family ever cooked and I didn't really know what to do with them. And quite honestly I thought of them as mushy and flavorless. However I had a roommate who loved lentils and she totally turned things around. She made the most delicious lentil stews and soups and today's recipe is inspired by all the amazing creamy lentils she used to make. These lentils are cooked with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, butternut squash, and herbs to boost the flavor. Then they are finished with spinach and some half and half to make them nice and creamy. Delicious and easy.
Creamy Lentils, Squash, and Spinach
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 U onion, diced
- 2 U carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 U celery ribs, chopped
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth (possibly more during cooking)
- 1 U bay leaf
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 4 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.