Creamy Cajun pasta is one of my favorite dishes. I love the combination of anything creamy with anything spicy and it's pasta - so it's a win. However restaurant versions of this dish many times pack in over 1500 calories so I like to make it at home instead with high fiber or whole wheat pasta, lots of veggies, and a touch of cream cheese to create the sauce. You can adjust the heat to fit your preferences. If you like things really spicy, add some cayenne or chipotles in adobo sauce.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Creamy Cajun Pasta Shells
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 8 oz. high fiber shell pasta (or whole wheat)
- 2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 U red pepper, sliced thin
- 1 U green pepper, sliced thin
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 U red onion, sliced thin
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup scallions
Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the vegetables to the same pan and cook for 6-8 minutes until tender. If they begin to stick, add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Stir in half the Cajun seasoning.
Turn heat down to low and add the diced tomatoes (undrained), cream cheese, and remaining Cajun seasoning. Cook until cream cheese melts and the sauce is formed. Taste and season if needed.
Serve with scallions.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.