I have always loved chicken yakitori, Japanese chicken skewers, but have always been a but of a wimp about trying it at home. I just assumed it would be time intensive and tricky. Boy, was I wrong. Chicken yakitori couldn’t be easier to prepare and the whole dish comes together in under 30 minutes. The sauce for the skewers is made of soy, mirin, water, garlic, ginger, and a touch of sugar. That’s boiled down until it is nice and thick. Then it’s brushed over the skewers and dinner is ready.
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 U green onions (or onion)
- 1 U green pepper
- 2 cups mushrooms, whole or halved
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 2 tsp. packed brown sugar (up to 2 tbsp. for a sweet yakitori)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Place the skewers on a baking sheet covered in foil (or on grill pan) and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Immediately brush with sauce and serve. For a stickier sauce, brush the skewers with sauce and place back under the broiler for 1 minute, being very careful they don't burn.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.