Chicken Enchilada Bubble Up made with refrigerated biscuit dough, chicken breast, enchilada sauce, and veggies is a surprisingly light dish that is packed with flavor. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
This Chicken Enchilada Bubble Up dish couldn't be more delicious. You will never believe that it only has 235 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving. Packed with chicken, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cheese all smothered in enchilada sauce and baked with biscuits. Come on - you know you can't wait to try it.
Bubble ups are some of my favorite dishes to make and my family absolutely loves them. Lately I have been on a hunt to find enchilada sauce and that was the original inspiration for this recipe. But I was surprised at how difficult it was to find here in Canada. Luckily after consulting my good friend Google, I learned that in many stores here it is called taquera sauce. It tastes very similar and is much easier to find.
So back to the bubble up! All my bubble ups start with biscuit dough. I like to use the 7.5 oz. packages of small biscuits, which I then cut down into smaller pieces. This helps to ensure the dough cooks through completely. Then I cover the biscuit dough with a mixture of chicken, diced bell peppers, tomatoes, and enchilada sauce. I also add some extra chili powder, which is completely optional depending on the spice level of your enchilada sauce. Then the cheese! Because every good enchilada has cheese. Once this bakes in the oven, I like to top it with cilantro and diced avocado. You can add any toppings you like.
Fun Ways to Personalize Your Chicken Enchilada Bubble Up
- Chicken is my go to protein for this dish but I imagine it would work with other proteins as well. You could try lean ground chicken or beef. You could also use black beans for a vegetarian option.
- Since enchilada sauce can be hard to find in Canada, I used taquera sauce, which is the closest option I could easily find. If you are in the states, you could use red or green enchilada sauce. You could also use a taco sauce.
- Toppings! Consider trying my favorites of cilantro and avocado. You could also add olives, jalapenos, onion, or queso fresco.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Chicken Enchilada Bubble Up
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 7.5 oz package biscuit dough (see note)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast (8 ounces)
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 U red pepper, diced
- 1 U tomato, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese (I use a 3 cheese blend, any is fine)
- 4 U green onions, chopped
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non stick spray. Cut your 10 small biscuits into 6 pieces each.
Pout 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in bottom of casserole dish. Layer half of the cut biscuits in dish on sauce.
In a bowl, mix the chicken with remaining 3/4 cup enchilada sauce, peppers, tomatoes, and chili powder.
Spoon half of your chicken mixture on top of your biscuits, spreading out evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Then repeat with remaining biscuits, chicken mixture, and cheese.
Top with diced green onion. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.
Top with fresh avocado and fresh cilantro (optional, but the nutritional info does include the avocado). Cut into 6 equal servings, each one weighing approx 6.5oz each. Store any leftovers in the fridge. Bubble up should freeze well.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.