Over Christmas my Aunt made the most delicious cauliflower and carrot dish. Seriously. Everyone was going back for seconds. For weeks after, I tried to recreate it at home until I finally asked her the secret sauce and learned about the brown butter. That is the full 4 oz. of browned butter from this Ina Garten recipe. Since that wasn't going to work for a healthy recipe, I set out to make a lightened up version that still incorporated brown butter, just not so much. I also made it as a rice but the original recipe calls for a mash. Either is delicious.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Cauliflower and Carrot Rice with Browned Butter
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Pulse the cauliflower and carrots in a food processor until in small rice like pieces. Add to a pot with 1/4 cup of water and cook until tender on low heat, about 6-8 minutes. For mash, boil the carrots and cauliflower for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over medium low heat. Cook until it is just golden brown. Watch carefully because it goes from browned to burnt quickly.
- Add the browned butter to the rice or mash. Season well with salt and pepper.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.