Whenever I am looking for vegetarian comfort food, I immediately think about polenta. I love the creamy texture, corn flavor, and its ability to transform virtually any roasted vegetables into a comforting main dish. Lately I have been loving butternut squash, so I decided to roast it with some Swiss chard and then pair it with a simple rosemary Parmesan polenta. It's warm and filling and it will quickly become a favorite when you crave a big bowl of comfort.
Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard with Rosemary Polenta
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 U medium red onion, chopped
- 1 U medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1 inch)
- 4 cups Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup skim milk (use unsweetened almond milk for vegan)
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (use half the amount of nutritional yeast for vegan)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the red onion, butternut squash, and Swiss chard with the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Place on a baking sheet or in a glass baking dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until squash is tender and chard has wilted.
Meanwhile, make the polenta. Bring the water and milk to a boil. Turn heat down to low and whisk in the polenta. Cook the polenta, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes until thick. Cover and cook for 20 more minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in the rosemary and cheese. Stir together until cheese melts. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve roasted butternut squash and chard over polenta.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.