Baked Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal is a healthy spin on everyone's favorite dessert made with whole grain oats, plenty of strawberries, and the best Greek yogurt whipped cream topping. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
I am not one to ever turn down dessert for breakfast and this recipe delivers! Hearty baked strawberry oatmeal topped with a yogurt whipped cream means it's ok to eat "Strawberry Shortcake" for breakfast.
Let's get down to business. The real star of this recipe is the lightened up Greek yogurt whipped cream. For a girl who would be happy eating homemade real whipped cream by the spoonful every night, finding a way to cut the calories by 50% was a game changer. Not to mention that I love the slight tartness the Greek yogurt adds. Don't get me the wrong, the baked strawberry oatmeal is really delicious as well but together - total yum. Dessert for breakfast in the very best way.
The other thing that makes this recipe special is the baked strawberry oatmeal. If you haven't tried baking oatmeal yet, then you are missing out. Baked oatmeal takes on a chewy, almost bar-like consistency. It also takes on a nutty taste that doesn't come out when you cook it in the microwave or stove-top. Additionally, if you normally aren't a fan of the creamy, porridge-like texture of oatmeal, this is something totally different. It is oatmeal for people who don't normally like oatmeal.
Will this strawberry baked oatmeal work with other berries or fruit?
This recipe is incredibly versatile and works to make all kinds of different baked fruit oatmeals. Swap in blueberries, raspberries, apples, pears, or bananas. You can also use a combination of different fruits to create different flavor combinations. I love making it with a combination of blueberries and bananas. The bananas add a lot of sweetness without the need for extra sugar and the blueberries are slightly tangy and delicious.
Can I make this in advance for meal prep?
This baked oatmeal is great for meal prep. Make it ahead of time to have a healthy and quick breakfast or after school snack ready to go. Just make sure to store the Greek yogurt whipped cream separately since it will soak into the oatmeal if you add it beforehand. It also makes a great snack for school or work. Personally, I love having it with my afternoon coffee or tea as a mid-day treat.
How to make baked oatmeal?
As I said, once you start baking oatmeal you won't want to stop. It's one of the best ways to enjoy your morning oats. Here is the basic recipe for baked oatmeal:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (rolled oats, not instant)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk)
- 1 cup fruit (berries, bananas, apples, plums, etc)
- 1/4 cup sweetener (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, mashed banana, etc)
- 1 egg
- Directions: Mix together the oatmeal, milk, sweetener, and egg. Fold in the fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Serve it hot or cold. If you let it cool, store it in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze strawberry baked oatmeal?
Freezing baked oatmeal is a great way to meal prep a healthy breakfast. Depending on your needs, there are a few different ways to freeze oatmeal when it is baked.
- Freeze and then bake: When you are baking for a bigger crowd, I would recommend prepping the oatmeal first but not baking it. You can freeze the prepared oatmeal right in the baking dish. Then pull it out the night before and let it defrost in the fridge overnight. In the morning, bake it at 35 degrees for 40-50 minutes until it is cooked through and golden brown. Make the Greek yogurt whipped cream while it bakes.
- Bake then freeze: Sometimes I will make a double batch of this oatmeal with plans of freezing the leftovers. Once the oatmeal has cooled to room temperature, cut it into individual servings. Then place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 3-4 hours until the outside is frozen. Then you can place them in a bag or container and they won't stick together. Defrost in the microwave or toaster oven. If you have time and remember, you can defrost them in the fridge the night before as well. They stay moister this way.
- Make individual portions: Another option is to cook individual portions in a muffin tin or mini loaf pans. They will take between 15-18 minutes to bake in a muffin tin. Then let them cool to room temperature. Place on a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Then place in a freezer safe container or bag. These cna be reheated in the toaster oven or microwave.
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 U egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 2.5 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.