Bacon Egg Salad is exactly what you have been looking for to fall in love with lunch again. This updated take on a traditional egg salad is seriously delicious plus it's healthy, low carb, and keto. Jump to Recipe
Bacon Egg Salad is the very best recipe for egg salad packed with eggs, crispy bacon, celery, chives, and a creamy dressing. This lightened up recipe is surprisingly good for you plus it is low carb, keto, and Paleo friendly.
It's time to move eggs and bacon off the breakfast plate and twist it into a new and delicious lunch dish! Everyone loves this classic combination and it continues to work its magic as an easy lunch dish that perfect for sandwiches, salads, or stuffed in tomatoes. You will seriously question why we all have been putting bacon in our egg salad for years. It just works.
The idea for this Bacon Egg Salad recipe is simple, make a traditional egg salad with hard-boiled eggs, chives, celery, mayonnaise, and a touch of Dijon mustard since that is an absolute must for us. Then make that simple, delicious salad infinitely better by folding in some delicious, crispy bacon. Bacon really does make everything better. In this case I decided to use turkey bacon to keep the calories and fat lower, but you could also use traditional pork bacon.
If you decide to use pork for this Bacon and Egg Salad, make sure to choose center cut bacon if you are concerned about calories and fat. Center cut bacon has more meat and less of the white fat than most standard bacon and therefore has anywhere from 25%-40% less fat and calories. For those on Weight Watchers, it has significantly fewer points as well with just 2 Smartpoints for 3 slices.
How to Hard Boil Eggs for Egg Salad?
- Stovetop: Add the eggs to a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cover the pot and turn off the burner. Let the eggs hang out in the boiling water for 9-12 minutes, depending on the size of the eggs. Large and extra large eggs will take about 12 minutes. Remove the eggs and place them in a cold water bath. Once they are room temperature, peel them. Eggs tend to be the easiest to peel at room temperature.
- Instant Pot: Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Then place the metal trivet in the base and place the eggs on the metal rivet. Set the timer to Manual for 6-7 minutes. When the timer goes off, manually release the pressure. Carefully remove the eggs and place them in a cool water bath. Once they have cooled to room temperature, remove them from the water to peel.
- Shortcut: If you can't be bothered to boil the eggs, many stores now sell hard-boiled eggs that have been cooked and peeled. All you have to do is chop them.
- Egg yolks: This recipe uses a combination of whole eggs and egg whites to lighten things up. You can defintiely use all whole eggs if you like, just cut the number of eggs down to 8 instead of a full 12. If you do use the egg whites, save the yolks to add to green salads or add them to smoothies for some extra protein and nutrients. No one will be able to taste them in a smoothie and they pack in tons of vitamins and nutrients.
What Can I Substitute for Mayonnaise in Egg Salad?
If you don't like mayonnaise, there are a few other good options when making egg salad. To keep a similar flavor, you can use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or a combination of the two. Use plain, whole fat Greek yogurt for the closest flavor and add some olive oil to smooth out the flavor. For a different spin, you can mash up an Avocado like this Avocado Tuna Salad. The avocado pairs perfectly with the eggs and bacon, plus it is a superfood full fo healthy fats and nutrients.
Recipe Ideas for Bacon Egg Salad
There are lots of ways you can customize this bacon and egg salad recipe to make it your own. Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Make it spicy: Add some chopped jalapenos or red pepper flakes to the salad to add a touch of heat.
- Add fresh herbs: This recipe loves ingredients like fresh dill, parsley, or cilantro.
- Brighten it: Add some fresh lemon juice or lemon zest to brighten up all the flavors
- Serving Ideas: There are so many different ways to serve this yummy dish. You can go the traditional route and serve it with toasted bread or in a healthy wrap. You can also hollow out tomatoes and stuff the egg salad into the tomatoes for a low carb and keto friendly option. For parties, I love to serve it on fresh endive, cucumber slices, or crackers.
Looking for more lunch salad recipes?
Bacon Egg Salad
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 6 U pieces turkey bacon, cooked crispy (or regular center cut)
- 6 U eggs
- 6 U egg whites
- 4 tbsp. low fat mayonnaise (Paleo/Whole30 compliant mayo)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 U stalks celery, chopped
- 2 U chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.