Twelve Healthy Holiday Side Dishes that no one will ever suspect are a healthier alternative to their favorite side dishes.
Twelve Healthy Holiday Side Dishes that taste amazing, are easy to prepare, and will make any holiday spread memorable and delicious.
When it comes to the holidays, it can be difficult if you are trying to eat healthy. Between the butter laden vegetable dishes, cream filled mashed potatoes, and desserts - it is thought that the average person consumes a shocking 4500 calories on Thanksgiving. Depending on how many calories you typically eat, this could be 2-3 days worth of food.
Now while I am not one to recommend limiting yourself completely on the holidays, it's a time to celebrate and enjoy, there are ways to make healthier choices and still enjoy a great meal. One strategy that I find really helpful is focusing on loading up with healtheir side dish options. There are so many ways to make delicious side dishes that taste just as good as their calorie heavy counterparts and if you load your plate up with these, you don't have to worry about indulging in some pumpkin pie, wine, or your grandmother's corn casserole.
1. Easy Roasted Potatoes that are made with just three simple ingredients have quickly become a favorite in our house and are perfect for the holidays. (159 calories, 4 SmartPoints)
2. Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower is one of my go-to dishes for holiday meals and it is always one of the first things to disappear. (102 calories, 2 SmartPoints)
3. Crispy Balsamic Brussels Sprouts are a dish I make every year for the holidays and are always a huge hit, even with people who swear they don't like my favorite little sprouts. (105 calories, 2 SmartPoints)
4. Honey Balsamic Carrots with Thyme are roasted until the carrots and honey caramelize and then served with a drizzle of balsamic and fresh thyme. They make a stunning and seriuosly tasty side dish for any holiday. (113 calories, 2 SmartPoints)
5. The Best Mashed Cauliflower is an easy way to make a lower carb side dish that still tastes delicious. Although we always serve traditional mashed potatoes, I serve these as well and they are always popular choice. (126 calories, 3 SmartPoints)
6. Roasted Rosemary Baby Potatoes are roasted until they are tender, perfect potatoes. My aunt made these one night for a family dinner and we have all been making them regularly since that night. (196 calories, 5 SmartPoints)
7. Roasted Garlic Broccoli is a great way to make sure there is something green on your Thanksgiving plate since it's easy to get lost in a sea of brown and orange on this holiday. (75 calories, 1 SmartPoints)
8. Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples is packed with seasonal flavors for a sweet side dish that is the perfect thing to eat with turkey. (132 calories, 2 SmartPoints)
9. Carrot and Cauliflower Rice with Browned Butter is another dish made famous in our family by my aunt. I promise no one will know it is good for you but anything with browned butter tastes amazing. (89 calories, 3 SmartPoints)
10. Roasted Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts are another Brussel sprouts dish that will make anyone a fan. The sweet and tangy flavors from the vinegar and maple syrup couldn't be more delicious. (99 calories, 2 SmartPoints)
11. Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate brings in seasonal flavos into a hearty salad that is perfect for vegetarian guests and a good way to incorporate some greens and whole grains. (173 calories, 3 SmartPoints)
12. Roasted Balsamic Root Vegetables take advantage of all the beautiful fall root vegetables for a hearty and veggie packed side dish.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.