“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.”
Once a week, I will be sharing a tip, trick, or some interesting information about meal planning. I believe meal planning is critical to any long term and effective healthy living or weight loss goals. For me it was the single thing that finally made permanent weight loss achievable. The quote stood true, when I failed to plan, I failed, and I don’t want that to happen to others.
Additionally, I believe that meal planning is a skill that takes time to master and we can all use some help! When I first started meal planning it took up countless hours pouring over recipes, calculating nutritional info and/or points, and creating elaborate calendars. It was painful. Anything I can do to ease that pain for someone else is a win-win in my book.
Finally, I hope by sharing meal planning strategies, it will help you find a system that works for you. Whether it’s using our meal plans, scratching one into your weekly planner, or creating your own meal planning system – I hope this feature inspires you to start planning at least a few meals every week. It will save you time, money, and it truly will help you reach your weight loss and healthy living goals. So with that, on to this week’s tip!
Meal Planning Made Easy: Healthy Holiday Eating
Between the holidays, cold weather, and cozy winter clothing - it's way to easy to gain 5-10 holiday pounds without even noticing. There are big holiday meals, parties, and an abundunce of baked goods and treats around every corner. So how can you keep off the holiday pounds while still enjoying the holidays. Here are a few strategies to stay on track. Wat are your favorite ways to keep off unwanted holiday weight?
1. Eat Before Holiday Meals and Parties: One of the best ways to avoid over eating at holiday get togethers is to fill up on a healthy meal first. That way you don't arrrive starving and reaching for the higher calorie options available. It also allows you to control what you are eating and the ingredients since many times you don't know exactly what will be served at gatherings.
2. Eat Slowly: Rather than loading up your plate with every option available, start with a plate full of healthier choices and eat slowly. The healthier options will help you get full and then you can choose a small amount one or two higher calorie options as a special treat.
3. Pick One Indulgence: Instead of throwing in the towel and indulging in ever high calorie item that's around, pick one indulgent treat instead. Savor it and make it special.
4. Plan Out Your Other Meals Carefully: Since we normally aren't eating out or at parties for all of our meals, it is more important to plan out your other meals to make sure you are making healthy choices throughout the day. This way if you end up indulging during a get together, you can fill good about all your other choices that day. Meal planning is a great strategy for this.
5. Start with Veggies: Veggies are your best friend at most holiday parties, just be careful of high calorie dips and sauces. Load up with veggies to be confident you are making good choices.
6. Watch Alcohol Intake: Although we all love a good holiday cocktail, they can pack in a ton of calories. Moreover, if we over indulge we are more likely to make bad choices when it comes to food.
Love the idea of meal planning but don’t want to do all the work? Since I know that many people simply don’t have the time to create their own healthy meal plans, we provide delicious and healthy meal plans at Slender Kitchen that you can customize to meet your needs.
Here are some highlights from this week’s healthy meal plans:
- Slow Cooker Pepperoncini Chicken
- Slow Cook Honey Lentils and Chickpeas (vegetarian plan)
- Carrot Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan (low carb plan)
- Sesame Beef (with tofu for vegetarians)
- Roasted Pork with Apples
- Tomato Braised Chicken Thighs
- Baked Fish
- Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Kale
- Egg, Veggie, and Sausage Casserole
- & more
Each healthy weekly meal plan comes full of delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The meal plans come in regular, vegetarian, and low carb options. All feature complete nutritional information, Weight Watchers PointsPlus®, and categorized shopping lists! There are also two bonus fallback recipes weekly and the option for either a complete meal plan or a Dinner Only plan. All that for less the cost of one cup of coffee per month with the yearly plan.