“If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.”
Once a week, I am going to start sharing a tip, trick, or some interesting information about meal planning. I believe meal planning is critical to any long term and effective healthy living or weight loss goals. For me it was the single thing that finally made permanent weight loss achievable. The quote stood true, when I failed to plan, I failed, and I don’t want that to happen to others.
Additionally, I believe that meal planning is a skill that takes time to master and we can all use some help! When I first started meal planning it took up countless hours pouring over recipes, calculating nutritional info and/or points, and creating elaborate calendars. It was painful. Anything I can do to ease that pain for someone else is a win-win in my book.
Finally, I hope by sharing meal planning strategies, it will help you find a system that works for you. Whether it’s using our meal plans, scratching one into your weekly planner, or creating your own meal planning system – I hope this feature inspires you to start planning at least a few meals every week. It will save you time, money, and it truly will help you reach your weight loss and healthy living goals. So with that, on to this week’s tip!
Meal Planning Made Easy: Finding a Breakfast Routine
For me, weekday breakfasts should be easy, quick, and stress free for a successful meal plan. Ideally I am either preparing something on Sundays that I can grab and go during the week or I am making something that morning that comes together in five minutes or less. Additionally, I get into a breakfast rut pretty quickly, so I like to rotate through a familiar cast of characters and just switch out the fruit, veggies, and spices to keep things interesting.
Almost every week you can find me rotating between some kind of egg dish – egg mugs, breakfast sandwiches and wraps, or frittatas – and either an oatmeal or yogurt based meal. Then sometimes when I have them on hand I add in bagel thin and low fat freezer waffles. Here are some of my mainstays for building out breakfasts in my meal plan.
- Baked Oatmeal: Like this Strawberry Banana Chocolate Baked Oatmeal, Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal with Plums, and Banana Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Muffins.
- Overnight Oats: Consider trying Overnight Peanut Butter Honey Chia Oats, Make Ahead Yogurt Oat Parfaits, and Green Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats.
- Chia Seed Puddings: Like this Chocolate Cherry Chia Seed Pudding, Pumpkin Pie Chia Seed Pudding, and Lemon Chia Seed Pudding.
- Yogurt Bowls and Parfaits: No recipes needs here, just layer together your favorite yogurt with fruit, nuts or nut butter, and a bit of high fiber cereal or granola.
- Egg Mugs: Two minutes in the microwave and you have a meal. Try this Microwave Huevos Rancheros, Quinoa Egg Mug, or Egg White, Tomato, and Avocado Sandwich made with an egg mug.
- Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches: Like these DIY Egg McMuffins, Freezer Friendly Breakfast Quesadillas, or Breakfast Burrito.
- Frittatas and Quiches: My favorite include this Brussels Sprouts and Vegetable Frittata,Asparagus Tomato and Feta Frittata, and these Mini Mushroom Frittatas.
Love the idea of meal planning but don’t want to do all the work? Since I know that many people simply don’t have the time to create their own healthy meal plans, we provide delicious and healthy meal plans at Slender Kitchen.
Here are some highlights from this week’s healthy meal plans:
- Slow Cooker Sesame Ginger Chicken (or Tofu)
- Skillet Vegetable Lasagna
- Turkey Schnitzel with Lemon Asparagus
- Thirty Minute Beef (or Two Bean) Chili
- Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal with Chocolate Chips
- Skillet Pork Chops with Homemade Applesauce
- Salmon Jack Burgers
- Bang Bang Chicken
- Greek Salad Pizza Bread
- Breakfast Apple Crisp
- & more
Each healthy weekly meal plan comes full of delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The meal plans come in regular, vegetarian, and low carb options. All feature complete nutritional information, Weight Watchers PointsPlus®, and categorized shopping lists! There are also two bonus fallback recipes weekly and the option for either a complete meal plan or a Dinner Only plan. All that for less the cost of one cup of coffee per month with the yearly plan.