As I briefly mentioned yesterday, whenever I hit a plateau in my weight loss or want to lose a few extra pounds quickly before an event, I try to really limit my carbohydrates. It always seems to push me over the plateau and I am able to keep the weight off as long as I stay on the plan when I bring carbs back into my diet. (There is no way I can stay away from carbs for too long - don't worry! I just love them too much) In general when I am eating this way I try to stick to mostly fruit, veggies, and lean protein. Here are some of my favorite low carb substitutions, recipes, and ingredients. Even if you are not eating less carbs, these substitutions can really come in hand when you are running out of points. Note: The picture is of a low carb Chicken Noodle Soup from Rocco Dispiritu.
1. Substitute Spaghetti Squash or Miracle Noodles for Pasta: I absolutely love cooking with spaghetti squash and it makes a regular appearance in my house regardless of whether or not I am eating low carb. However when you are eating low carb, it is the perfect substitution for spaghetti and works great with any sauce. I also sometimes substitute Miracle Noodles or Carba Nada noodles. The Miracle noodles have 0 pointsplus and the Carba Nada noodles have 3 pointsplus for 1.5 cups. The Carba Nada noodles taste much more like real pasta, while the Miracle Noodles are more like an Asian noodle. Hungry Girl has tons of recipes for Miracle Noodles including Fettuccine Alfredo for 1 pointsplus.
2. Substitute Cauliflower Rice for Rice/Quinoa: One of my new favorite substitutions for when I want to eat less carbs or are just running out of points is cauliflower rice. It can take on virtually any flavor and makes a perfect side dish for 0 points. Last night I had some mixed with lemon juice, fresh basil, and chives and it was perfect.
3. Substitute Mashed Cauliflower for Mashed Potatoes: If you regularly read my blog you know just how much I love mashed cauliflower. I usually make mine with some Parmesan cheese and garlic, but you could include any of your favorite flavors. A serving is only 1 point. It also works great in recipes that call for mashed potatoes like this simple, low carb Shepard's Pie.
4. Substitute Bob's Low Carb Baking Mix for Baking and Pancake Mix: One craving I have trouble breaking during times when I am eating less carbs is pancakes on the weekends. I just love them. Bob's Low Carb Baking Mix does the trick and works great in pancake and bread recipes if you are trying to eat fewer carbs. It also has 5 g of fiber per 1/4 cup and no sugar so it is a great choice for many.
5. Substitute Low Carb Tortillas for Bread: A constant in my house are these La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas. I use then for absolutely everything whether I am eating low carb or not. I love to wrap eggs in them for breakfast, make sandwiches at lunch, and eat them with soup or with tacos for dinner. I probably eat at least two every day and at 1 point each, that's ok.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.