Although being 100% Irish I have never attempted to make corned beef and cabbage before – I usually leave it up to my grandmother or perhaps the closest Irish pub. However this year I decided it was time to try to make my own. I knew with a busy St. Patrick’s day ahead of me tomorrow, unfortunately full of work and no play, it was a better idea to make it today and also, it is one of those dishes that tastes even better after sitting for a day. Unfortunately, since I won’t be eating this until tomorrow, you aren’t able to see the cabbage in the photo. I am going to wait and cook that tomorrow to make sure it still has some crunch – not a big fan of overly soggy cabbage.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
Serving Size: about 1- 1/12 cups
Nutritional Info: 345.4 calories, 19.4 g of fat, 19.9 g carbohydrates, 4.4 g dietary fiber, 22.2 g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 9 *
2.5 pounds of lean corned beef brisket with the seasoning packet – make sure to choose the leanest cut
2 carrots, chopped
3 red potatoes, chopped
1 onion, quatered
2 tbsp whole grain mustard
1/2 can of guinness (about 7 ounces)
1 head of cabbage, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add the potatoes, onions, and carrots to the slow cooker.
2. Add the lean corned beef brisket (after washing and patting it dry) and and spread 2 tbsp of whole grain mustard on the brisket. Then pour in the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef.
3. Pour in the Guinness and then cook for 6-8 hours in your slow cooker.
4. Once the corned beef has cooked, pull it out of the slow cooker and place it on the side. Add the cabbage to the slow cooker and cook an additional 30-45 minutes to desired tenderness.
5. While the cabbage is cooking, remove any large pieces of fat from the corned beef. I ended up shredded larges pieces of it to remove the extra fat.
6. Add the corned beef back to the slow cooker and allow to warm up for 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
* PointsPlus® calculated by Slender Kitchen; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Lemon Chia Seed Pudding July 7, 2015 0 comments
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken July 6, 2015 2 comments
- Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy & Week 28 Meal Plan July 4, 2015 0 comments
- Friday Five: July 4th Recipe Round Up July 2, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 112 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 75 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out