Pesto, pesto, pesto – yum. Using the delicious pea pesto from yesterday (I had made a double batch), I couldn’t wait to incorporate it with some pasta. To make this dish, I used a quick go to pasta recipe I use all the time and just added in the pea pesto instead of the normal cheese and lemon I would add in step 5. A touch of milk adds creaminess and the red pepper adds a little kick.
Healthy Pasta with Chicken and Pea Pesto
Serving Size: about about 1.25 cups
Nutritional Info: 297.9 calories, 5.7 g of fat, 37.8 g of carbohydrates, 6.6 g of fiber 27.1 g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 8 *
8 oz of high fiber pasta (I like Ronzoni Smart Taste)
1 lb of chicken breast, cut into small chunks
1 garlic cloves, minced (I like mine with a lot of garlic)
1/2 diced onion
1 bunch of cauliflower (just the tops) cut into pieces
1/3 cup of 2% milk
2.5 cups chicken broth
pea pesto (entire recipe)
1/2 tsp red pepper flake
salt and pepper to taste (I like a lot of freshly ground pepper)
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat up the olive oil (and some extra cooking spray if needed) in a large saute pan and cook the chicken until it is lightly browned and just cooked. Set aside in a separate bowl. Be careful not to overcook the chicken, a little underdone is ok, or the chicken will end up rubbery.
2. In the same saute pan, add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes until it begins to become translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two until fragrant.
3. Add in whatever pasta you are using and 2 cups of the chicken broth and red pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the water is almost completely absorbed and pasta is close to cooked – about 8 minutes.
4. Add in the cauliflower and the additional 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cover and let simmer for about 4 minutes until cauliflower is just tender.
5. Add in the milk, pea pesto, and any additional salt and pepper. Stir together and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Turn off and let the pasta sit for 2-3 minutes longer so the sauce can continue to thicken. Serve!
* PointsPlus® calculated by Slender Kitchen; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Tomato, Cucumber, Corn, and Avocado Salad August 3, 2015 0 comments
- Friday Five: Delicious Summer Salads July 31, 2015 0 comments
- Citrus Vinegar & Butter Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles July 30, 2015 0 comments
- Garlic Cilantro Brown Rice July 28, 2015 0 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 113 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 76 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out