Up until this point, I have never really talked to much about fitness or exercise on the blog, but I wanted to change that in 2012. Having all of you has done wonders keeping me accountable for trying new recipes and staying on track eating. So here is a huge THANKS! However, working out. That’s a whole other story. My general work out pattern has gone something like this: work out hard for 2 weeks, kind of work out for 1 week, take 6-10 weeks off. Ugh. Does this happen to anyone else? So to hopefully fix that this year, I am going to set some work out goals, that I can hopefully stick to. Here they are:
- Run a half marathon – Signing up this week – paying for something has always helped me stay committed
- Attend a Yoga or Pilates Class 3-4 times/monthly – I love Yoga and Pilates classes and need more flexibility, but given the cost, one class/week is probably the right goal
- Learn to surf – I live in Southern California, across from a beach, I need to learn to do this
- Earn activity points outdoors every week – I love being outside, but don’t always prioritize it. Time for hiking, biking, and other outdoor fun
Along with these goals, here are some of my favorite tools, that I am hoping will also help me stay on track to be more fit in 2012.
1. Nike + Sensor: If you have an iPod and like to listen to music while you run, this is a must. I personally recommend the sensor and sensor case because it can be used on any pair of sneakers. Plug the Nike + into your iPod and the sensor automatically tracks your mileage and gives you encouragement messages along the way. Then plug in your Ipod to your computer and it tracks your weekly progress. I LOVE mine. There are also great workouts available on iTunes that coach you through different runs and even full body workouts.
2. Pedometer: One of the best pieces of fitness advice I ever heard was to buy a pedometer and track my daily steps. As soon as I bought one, I immediately began challenging myself to take more steps everyday. Honestly, you will park further away from the store just to get more steps. I thought it was crazy, but it’s true. Best of all, they are inexpensive and help you maximize something you already do everyday – walk.
3. Resistance Band Set: I will be the first to admit I am not always the best at adding in strength training to my workouts. I think it dates back to a certain softball coach who had us lift weights with the football team to bulk us up. I am terrified of bulking up. However, I love these resistance bands for quick strength training at home. The linked kit is my personal favorite, but any would work. You can do a million exercises and stretches with them.
4. Theraband Ankle and Wrist Weights: To be honest, I haven’t tried these yet but did just order them. A friend of mine (who is in amazing shape) swears by them. She wears them for her morning walk and then wears the ankle weights anytime she is cooking, cleaning, or just lounging around her house to give her an extra boost. Based on her results and the fact that they only cost $18, I have to give it a try.
5. Body Bugg: I am saving up to buy this currently. I have heard so many good things about it and just have to have one. Hopefully it will be making it’s way to my arm soon. Anything that works on the Biggest Loser, I want to try. And this one sounds amazing.
What are your 2012 fitness goals?
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy & Week 23 Meal Plan May 28, 2015 0 comments
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Jalapenos May 27, 2015 1 comment
- Creamy Spinach, Tomato, and Mushroom Pasta May 26, 2015 0 comments
- Low Carb Lemon Cottage Pancakes May 25, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 112 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 75 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out