I love a good salad and lately they have been my go to for lunches. However when I am reaching for salad for a meal, I want volume, and I mean real volume. I just don’t feel satisfied with a small, dainty salad as a meal. I want one packed with ingredients so it feels like I am eating a lot. So I tend to add tons of veggies and then lots of add ins to make it interesting, filling, and voluminous. Here are some of my favorites, what are yours?
1. Olives: 10 olives, 37 calories, 1 PointsPlus®
I love the saltiness and texture of olives in virtually any salad and you can eat a lot of them for under 40 calories. Pretty amazing. I find they add a ton of flavor and depth, and with good olives they can almost serve as a dressing. My favorites usually come from the olive bar since it let’s me mix and match lots of different kinds.
2. Crumbled Reduced Fat Goat or Feta Cheese: 2 tbsp, 35 calories 1 PointsPlus®
I love any type of crumbly cheese on my salad, but my two favorites are goat cheese and feta cheese. You can add two tablespoons, which is actually plenty, to any salad to add a ton of flavor. With the olives above, and a squeeze of lemon juice, you really don’t even need dressing.
3. Sunflower Seeds: 1 tbsp, 37 calories, 1 PointsPlus®
I like to add some nuttiness and added protein to a salad by tossing in some sunflower seeds. The key is to toast them in a saute pan before adding them so the flavor deepens. And don’t be worried about the serving size – 1 tbsp is actually a ton of sunflower seeds.
4. Marinated Veggies: calories vary, 0-1 PointsPlus® per serving
There are jars and cans of low points veggies in my cabinet just for salads. Depending on the salad, I add different ones that I think complement or enhance the flavor. My favorites – roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, pickled green beans, and pickled beets. Just make sure to buy veggies packed in water to keep the points value low.
5. Fresh fruit: calories varies, 0 1 PointsPlus®
Lastly, I just love fresh fruit in my salads, and I use just about everything. Strawberries, blueberries, apples, fresh peaches, jicama, pineapple. I use it all.
Also I have recently received a few questions about packing salads to go, I use this container and love it. Mason jars can also work great.
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Creamy Spinach, Tomato, and Mushroom Pasta May 26, 2015 0 comments
- Low Carb Lemon Cottage Pancakes May 25, 2015 0 comments
- Sunday Slow Cooker: Black Beans May 23, 2015 3 comments
- Friday Five: Twenty Delicious Memorial Day Recipes May 22, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 112 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 75 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out