A piece of advice, never read the label when you are eating chorizo. I mean I knew it was made of things I didn’t want to think about and definitely knew it wasn’t healthy, but it’s a whole different story when you have to come face to face with it. It can be a little scary. Now don’t get me wrong, I will definitely be eating chorizo again. I am not about to give it up forever, it just tastes too good. But after reading the ingredients for the first time, I found myself meandering over to the vegetarian section and picking up some soy chorizo. Much more palatable ingredient list. This recipe is incredibly simple to make and delicious. It is a riff on a traditional stuffed pepper with a Mexican twist. Stuffing it in a poblano adds a nice layer of heat and using cauliflower instead of rice cuts down on the calories. Delicious and low enough in points you could even have two.
Now my other favorite thing about this recipe is that it freezes really well. I was lucky enough to get to work with Glad Freezerware and challenged to come up with a fun, freezer friendly meal. I wanted to think outside the box and stay away from typical soups and stews to find something that would be delicious reheated for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Yes. I said breakfast. I had one this morning with a runny fried egg, delicious and only 6 points. Using the small Glad Freeezerware containers, I doubled the recipe and added one stuffed pepper to each container. They are airtight which means no worry about freezer burn. Then simply pull one out, take off the lid, and warm it up in the microwave. Freezer to microwave without cracking for a perfect on the go meal anytime.
Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper
Nutritional Info: 177.2 calories, 7.1g of fat, 14.5g carbohydrates, 6.1g dietary fiber, 9.3g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 4 *
Now my other favorite thing about this recipe is that it freezes really well. I was lucky enough to get to work with Glad Freezerware and challenged to come up with a fun, freezer friendly meal. I wanted to think outside the box and stay away from typical soups and stews to find something that would be delicious reheated for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Yes. I said breakfast. I had one this morning with a runny fried egg, delicious and only 6 points. Using the small Glad Freeezerware containers, I doubled the recipe and added one stuffed pepper to each container. They are airtight which means no worry about freezer burn. Then simply pull one out, take off the lid, and warm it up in the microwave. Freezer to microwave without cracking for a perfect on the go meal anytime.“Chorizo” Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 5 poblano peppers
- 1 10 oz package soy chorizo (mine was 14 points for entire package)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped finely
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Roast the poblano peppers on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes until they begin to soften.
- While the peppers are roasting, add the onions to a skillet sprayed with cooking spray. Cook for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Then add the cauliflower and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the cauliflower begins to soften as well.
- Add the choriz0 to skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes until warm.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, make a slit in each pepper and remove the seeds and ribs. Then fill each pepper with the chorizo and cauliflower mizxture, diving it evenly among the five peppers.
- Place each pepper side by side in a baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!
Freezing instructions: Let the peppers cool and then freeze individually in Glad Freezerware. To warm up simple place in the microwave for 7 minutes at 50% power. Then if needed, cook for 1-2 minute on high. Times may vary according to your microwave.
*As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received a case of Glad® Freezerware™ containers and a stipend to cover the cost of ingredients purchase for freezer friendly meals. With that said, I would never endorse a product that I didn’t actually use and enjoy.
* PointsPlus® calculated by Slender Kitchen; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Do you like these recipes?
Check out our healthy meal plans featuring
recipes just like this.
- Weekly Meals Plans for 2 or 4
- Nutritional information including PointsPlus®
- Complete, categorized shopping lists
I’m Kristen and I couldn’t be happier you are here. You will find a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that will not only taste great, but help you fit in your favorite jeans.
You May Also Enjoy:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get the latest recipes directly in your inbox.
Add a Comment...
Never Miss a Recipe
Recent PostsPopular Posts
- Sunday Slow Cooker: Black Beans May 23, 2015 0 comments
- Friday Five: Twenty Delicious Memorial Day Recipes May 22, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Meal Planning Made Easy & Week 22 Meal Plan May 21, 2015 0 comments
- Kale, Quinoa, and Cherry Salad May 20, 2015 0 comments
- Healthy Hiking with LÄRABAR & a Giveaway! October 26, 2014 113 comments
- Cheesy “Fried” Mozzarella Bites & SkinnyTaste Giveaway October 13, 2014 112 comments
- Holiday Giveaway! December 14, 2013 94 comments
- Great Freezer Meals and Glad Give Away June 11, 2012 75 comments
- 100 Calorie Recipes
- 100 Calorie Snacks
- 150 Calorie Recipes
- 200 Calorie Recipes
- 250 Calorie Recipes
- 300 Calorie Recipes
- 350 Calorie Recipes
- 400 Calorie Recipes
- 50 Calorie Recipes
- All Recipes
- Asian Recipes
- Baking Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Breakfast Recipes
- Clean Eating
- Crock Pot
- Dairy Free Recipes
- Egg Recipes
- Freezer Friendly
- Healthy Cooking 101
- Healthy Living
- Holiday Meals
- Low Calorie Recipes
- Low Carb
- Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes
- Main Course
- Meal Plans
- Member Lowcarb Meal Plans
- Member Meal Plans
- Member Resources
- Member Vegetarian Meal Plans
- Paleo Recipes
- Pork Recipes
- Quick Healthy Recipes
- Side Dishes
- SK Products
- Slow Cooker Sundays
- Snacks and Appetizers
- Top Five Lists
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes
- Weight Loss Wednesday
- Working Out